- Has your organization developed plans and goals for the creation of culturally inclusive environments?
- Does top leadership provide vocal, visible and continuous support for diversity?
- Is there a specific process in place for the recruitment of high quality, culturally diverse candidate pools?
- Have you evaluated the predictive validity of your selection processes?
- Does your organization provide formal career development opportunities for all employees?
- Is there an employee code of conduct that clearly prohibits engaging in racist, sexist, biased, sexually harassing or sexually/physically abusive behavior?
Facilitate a cultural audit and make changes as needed. A cultural audit evaluates your organization’s strengths and weaknesses when it comes to diversity practices related to recruitment, selection, retention, training, performance management, customer service, compensation and the use of outside vendors. For example, an audit might pose questions such as:
Dr. Tyrone A. Holmes is an author, speaker, coach and consultant. He helps his clients develop the skills needed to communicate, resolve conflict, solve problems and improve performance in diverse organizational settings.